One Dies at Webster Fire

NH Fire Marshal: Daniel Hewey, 20, of Warner perished in the fire.

UPDATE, Feb. 17, 2:23 p.m.

The state fire marshal's office has released the name of the man who perished in a fire in Webster on Feb. 16. 

According to a statement, Daniel Hewey, 20, of Warner, was killed due to "inhalation injuries and burns from the fire," according to the state medical examiner. 

"Investigators have determined that Daniel Hewey used gasoline to attempt to ignite a brush pile in a fire pit thereby causing a small explosion and flash fire which also injured a 17-year-old female who is still being treated for her injuries at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston," the report stated. "She is expected to recover."

According to Patch readers who have also heard about the incident, the flames reportedly ignited back into a can at the bonfire and Hewey seemed to "inhale the flames." Others who were at the scene reportedly attempted to pull him from the flames and Webster's volunteer fire department responded to the scene as quickly as possible. 

Degnan noted that tragedies like the death of Hewey are preventable. Never use gasoline or other flammable liquids to light any fire, Degnan suggested.

"The vapors are explosive and extremely flammable and will pool at ground level particularly in colder weather," the statement said. "Caution should be used when lighting any outdoor fires and no liquids should be added to a fire that is already lit due to the possibility of a flash fire. Fire starting gels have also been linked to flash fires and serious burn injuries. Only approved flammable liquid containers should be used to store flammable liquids and should never be kept near a fire."

The original post is below

The state's fire marshal and first responders are reporting that one person has died in connection with a fire in Webster on Deer Meadow Road on Feb. 16. 

In a statement, J. William Degnan, as well as Webster Police Chief Robert Dupuis, and Webster Fire Chief Colin Colby noted that the person died at Concord Hospital in connection to an outside fire at a little before 10:30 p.m. 

"First responders were called to the scene for treatment of a victim with burn injuries," the statement noted. "First responders discovered that two people had been burned by an outside fire."

A man, whose name has not yet been released, died as a result of the burn injuries. A woman was transported to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston for treatment. 

According to the statement, the case is still under investigation. The identity of the man will be released after the next of kin has been notified and the cause of death determined by the state medical examiner. 

Rosesred February 18, 2013 at 01:17 AM
So sad.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »